Pages

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Chicken Pot Pie

One of Mitch's favorite meals is a chicken pot pie. Two Sundays ago my dad came over to help us with our fence, and Mitch suggested that I make my chicken pot pie as a farmer's lunch. Making this simple meal from scratch really makes me feel like a Susy homemaker. I get to break out my apron, my rolling pin, and there is flour everywhere before I'm done. Since I was planning on serving this pie for lunch after church, I went ahead and made the pie dough and pie filling the night before, along with the dough for our rolls.

Chicken Pot Pie Recipe:

Pie Crust:

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 sticks butter, cut into 1/4-inch pats
  • 6 tablespoons ice cold water

Pour a cup and a half of flour with salt on top of your butter chunks in the bowl of your kitchen aid mixer. With your paddle attachment, mix until no dry flour remains and dough just begins to collect in clumps. Sprinkle remaining flour (1 cup) and mix until dough is just barely broken up.

Sprinkle with water then use a rubber spatula to fold and press the dough until it comes together into a ball. Divide ball in half. flatten each half into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or over night) before rolling and baking.






Pot Pie Filling:

1 pound or less cooked chicken - cubed ( I usually use the leftover chicken from a roasted chicken that we would have had the day or 2 before )
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced carrots
1 can of peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken (or veggie) broth
2/3 cup milk
2 unbaked pie crusts

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F 
In a saucepan boil carrots and celery water for 15 minutes or until the veggies soften. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper. Slowly stir in broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and and add the peas, the cooked carrots and celery, and the chicken (before adding the chicken, I'll dip a small portion out to make a veggie pot pie for my vegetarian daughter).
Grease a pie pan or a cast iron skillet for your pie shell.
Pour the pot pie mixture in bottom pie crust. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough (I use my excess dough for the mini veggie pot pie). Cut small slits into your pie to allow steam to escape.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and the filling is bubbly. 

















































I served this meal with deviled eggs (from my yard!), rolls (homemade!), and canned green beans.


Our fence project is taking much longer than expected. Back in December we were sure that we would have it up and completed by the end of January, but we wouldn't even get all the supplies until February, and our conflicting work and weekend schedules have put us far behind our original deadline. But I am so thankful for the help from my dad.







The Fence is for our Skylar's horse Murray. As soon as the fence is up we'll be able to bring him home. In the meantime, he is staying with a friend of ours and is buddy buddy with her horse. We're hoping to bring Murray home soon!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...