Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Love Thy Neighbor


In our old house in our old neighborhood I hardly knew any of the neighbors. It just about drove me crazy. I wanted to feel like my neighborhood was a community. Once you move in aren't people from your street suppose to bring you homemade pies and jello? Aren't you suppose to be able to go next door and ask for a cup of sugar if you run out without it being awkward? I thought so, but instead I find it to be the norm to keep your head down while you're getting out of your car and walking to your front door. My kids didn't have any neighbor friends to play with, and I felt like we were missing something.

We moved into our new house about 5 months ago. Its a cute neighborhood with a swimming pool and a park. The kids love it! and so do I. Within a month or so after moving in I met a neighbor two doors down. I only so happen to meet her because I was outside with my kids and she shortly came outside with her kids. My daughter was riding her bike, and her daughter was riding her bike. My son was riding his scooter, and her son was riding his scooter. The girls almost immediately recognized each other from school. So I went over and introduced myself to the mother and well our kids have been almost inseparable ever since. I enjoy the kids running back and forth to each other's houses. This is how its suppose to be. I love it!

Now if only I knew the neighbors whose houses are right next to mine. Its still the same story where each family goes into their own house not to notice a neighbor next door. If I were to pass them in a grocery store I would never even recognize them. This isn't all their fault. I am just as guilty. Too shy, too busy, not even thinking about it really when I get home. Its just straight to the door for me. Why shouldn't I be the one to knock on a door to introduce myself?

Well this week a huge snow storm came our way. The schools have been closed all week and the kids and I have spent a lot of time outside playing in the snow. Tuesday I noticed one of my neighbors shoveling her driveway. Dying to meet my neighbor I decided it was time for me to get over my shyness or insecurity and introduce myself. And I did it! I even helped her shovel her driveway while my kids played in the snow. We chit chatted for a bit getting know one another. I had mentioned while making fun of myself that I had run out of milk (which is crazy because everyone knows to stalk up on bread and milk before it snows) and generously she gave me a 1/2 gallon of milk! After we finished her driveway I invited her and her kids over for hot cocoa. The kids ran wild and I loved it. She was great company and I'm so glad that I am getting to know my neighbors.

James 2:8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...