Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

The Loss of Our Dog Heidi

Time slowed down with grief last Sunday when we received the call that our beloved pet Heidi had died. She was hit by a car and passed instantly. My heart sank knowing that I would have to break this news to my 10 year old daughter, who loved and cherished this dog from the moment we first laid eyes on her at the shelter. Heidi was Skylar's baby, the warm furry friend who laid in bed with her at night, and the one who licked her face to wake in the morning. That feeling of cold, then hot waves came over me, multiplying my own heartache by 10, knowing the shattered pieces of my own daughter's heart that I would have to hold. She screamed and cried, and begged it not to be true. I held her and I cried too. 
I thought about how shaken the woman who hit Heidi must have been, and the integrity that she possessed to stop, kneel down beside our dog, and call the number from her tag. How heart wrenching that must have been for her. We could have gone days wondering where our dog had gone, but because of her compassion, we were able to get to Heidi and bury her right away and have our closure. 
Heidi was a good dog, a true companion to Skylar. Intelligent and patient, we couldn't ask for a better dog. She will be missed, and we're thankful for the wonderful memories Skylar was able to share with her, even if for a short time.







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...